Forum › The union of the literary you and the scientific me discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Yeah yeah I agree the story was cute 'n cuddly and all. But Edison wasn't really a scientist. He was more of a businessman who took real scientists' inventions and marketed them as his own. Ayano should have worn a Nikola Tesla yukata instead.

To be fair though, Ayano is a literature dork, not a science dork, you can't blame her for getting it wrong

joined Jul 8, 2019

The second edison yukata hit me like a freight train

maybe that's the reason my sugestion to tag Thomas Alva Edison on page 7 was rejected. I totally should have suggested to tag Moderate amounts of Edison instead.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

sounds good. I think we need an edison jumpscare tag

Homura-devil
joined May 7, 2018

Damn, they were almost too useless this time, to the point that they had the audience bamboozled.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Props to Miku for being able to plot that equation in moments without a calculator. That was insane.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

HAHA I was laughing so hard with this one, the formula candy were hilarious and the Thomas Edison yukata

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

yeah Mr. White, yeah science!

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Look at those gay nerds, sunch cuties, so smart they got dumb.

Thanks for the translation!

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

The real hero of this story was the candymaker. How did he even make that?

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Yeah yeah I agree the story was cute 'n cuddly and all. But Edison wasn't really a scientist. He was more of a businessman who took real scientists' inventions and marketed them as his own. Ayano should have worn a Nikola Tesla yukata instead.

While most of Edison’s fame did come from the patents he owned, rather than the devices he created, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a scientist as well. He personally invented the quadruplex telegraph, which is what funded Menlo Park in the first place. Not to mention that, in creating Menlo Park, he assembled a team of brilliant scientists and provided facilities where they would make multiple contributions to technological advancement. I’m not saying he wasn’t more of a celebrity businessman, but I am saying that he isn’t as unworthy of recognition as people online often seem to believe.

On a lighter note, shout-out to that candymaker. Dude said he could make any shape they wanted, and he damn well meant it.

joined Jul 26, 2016

What the fuck am I reading?

Unnamed
joined Sep 11, 2019

The heart formula was "cringe" but so cute man jaja
Love that shit

Freenbeckforever
joined Oct 28, 2022

Actually... does that formula really work like that?
Or is the heart shape an artistic liberty?
I'm not good at math, so I have no clue. Somebody good at math tell me.

Aizawa-san
joined May 25, 2018

It does work like that

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

It does work like that

Nice! I was wondering, too!

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Once again, I'm calling for a SCIENCE! tag (and possibly a Math tag).

Emksz5tuyaupjuem
joined Apr 18, 2023

gosh they are so cute

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

As a maths major, let me tell you that the pickup line "What is your favorite prime number?" is a high-risk, high-reward strategy. Most of the time, it doesn't work at all, but if does, it does.

What's even more amazing is that the candy seller actually made the molecule-shaped candies!

A traditional Japanese craftsman does not back down from a challenge!

It does work like that

You can even do it in Desmos if you convert it into its closed form first: \sqrt{1-x^{2}}+x^{\frac{2}{3}} and -\sqrt{1-x^{2}}+x^{\frac{2}{3}}. You have to do it in two lines to get both halves of the heart (upper and lower) because square root function is messy like that. ±\sqrt{1-x^{2}} is basically the formula of a unit circle in the Cartesian plane, and x^2/3 is a cube root of x squared, which produces a pretty V/bird shape (you can achieve similar results with |x| or anything with a cusp, really). A linear combination of the bird shape with the individual upper and lower semicircles is what creates the heart shape. It is not a particularly complicated formula, but its implicit form is very clever.

last edited at May 1, 2024 8:18AM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

is idiot couple really adequate here. We might need a accidential genius couple tag

Schrödinger's Idiot Couple

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

It does work like that

You can even do it in Desmos if you convert it into its closed form first: \sqrt{1-x^{2}}+x^{\frac{2}{3}} and -\sqrt{1-x^{2}}+x^{\frac{2}{3}}.

The implicit firm works in desmos, as well.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

It does work like that

You can even do it in Desmos if you convert it into its closed form first: \sqrt{1-x^{2}}+x^{\frac{2}{3}} and -\sqrt{1-x^{2}}+x^{\frac{2}{3}}.

The implicit firm works in desmos, as well.

Huh, didn't know it had that function, thank you. :-)

joined Sep 10, 2023

cute but what the fuck

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023

I certainly hope that every WikiHow article will have this effect on someone. The chances are slim, but I can hope.

Bd53e2ad579b959b89f62de0cc5941be-min
joined Oct 19, 2022

Oh my god this is ADORABLE... omgg,.,. What if a girl learned linguistics to flirt with me... I think I'd marry her on the spot (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠) that's the dream

ThatAlpacagon
Reduceimagesize.net_60kb_896
joined Jul 12, 2020

Im having Nyquist Plot ptsd...

To reply you must either login or sign up.